Dear Cesar Chavez Academy Parents (and students),
On behalf of the Cesar Chavez Academy District, we would like to wish you a Happy Holiday and a Happy New Year.
Vacation starts on Friday, December 19, 2014 and school will reopen on Monday, January 5, 2015.
Holiday Vacation Tips for parents with young children:
• Have your child read to you each day throughout the vacation.
• Choose a calm place, free from interruption for your child to do his/ her each day reading (typically in the evening).
• As your child reads, indicate spelling and sound patterns for instance cat, pat, and hat.
• When your child reads loudly to you and makes a error, point out the words he/she missed and assist him/her to read the word correctly.
• Ask your child to tell you in his/her own words what takes place in a story.
• To test your child’s understanding of what he/she is reading, take breaks and ask your child questions about the characters and events in the story.
• Ask your child why he/she imagines a character acted in a certain way and ask your child to support his/her answer with information from the story.
• Before getting to the conclusion of a story, ask your child what he thinks will occur next and why.
For older children, visit a museum, zoo, or Detroit cultural institution. Encourage reading time or assist with a community service organization. The holidays are a great time for parents and family to reconnect with age-old traditions passed on from generation-to-generation.
The DIA (Detroit Institute of Arts) offers free general admission to residents of Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. Holdiay Break would be a great time to take advantage of this FREE cultural activity.